Are you looking for dental implants in Charleston SC?
Dental Implants are great. Or at least they can be. There are many things about implants you need to know before you decide to place one or more in your mouth.
An implant is man’s attempt to replace his teeth that were either missing or extracted for many different reasons. It generally is a cylinder with many different faces depending on manufacturer made mainly from titanium. Different manufacturers have different additions for improving the implant’s ability to withstand biting forces and improving function.
For an implant to succeed there are several factors that need to be considered:
1) Implants must be placed in bone completely so you need enough bone in the right place to place it. When there is not enough, there are procedures in place to add bone to ensure there is enough to hold the implant securely.
2) There cannot be any infection in the bone or surrounding tissue where the implant is to be placed.
3) There are medical considerations that must be addressed such as osteoporosis and other conditions that have a large effect on long-term success for the implant. These must be discovered, discussed and treated before placement.
4) Cleanliness – The patient must commit to themselves their sincere efforts to keep the implant clean by brushing, flossing and rinsing or it will fail. The singular attachment of an implant is not the same strength as normal teeth, so if you allow plaque and tarter to build up, you will lose bone attachment to the implant and the implant will move and possibly come out.
Remember the old adage- Cleanliness is next to Godliness. So if you have to do your part of cleaning at home and see your dentist at least every 6 months to make sure the implant continues to do well or can be corrected easily enough.
As a side note, the kind and purpose of the implant is a huge consideration. Will you have a make at a matched attachment or a screwed in system. Each has aspects that need to be thought of. The design of where and what and how many and what kind of heads to be placed are all valid questions that must be decided upon before placement of the implants.
5) Finances – Today, some insurance companies will cover the implants. Some not. You will have to talk with your agent so they can look up the ADA Codes to see if there is any coverage. Blue Cross / Cigna / Delta Dental / Met Life etc, all have multiple policies with all sorts of inclusions and exclusions so you need to do your homework before committing to the procedure. The cost of the implants varies as to the type, number, and other considerations so there is no panacea for this and your insurance company may or may not cover them.
Understand that all implants must undergo a certain amount of time in the bone to mature the bone around them. They usually get covered up and allowed to integrate into the bone before a load (Biting) is placed on top.
6) Patience – A key ingredient to implant success is to let it mature and to get them cleaned by a dentist professional at least every 6 months.
Dental Implants can be great but you have to take your time to know all the problems and indications for these things. The better you do your homework, the better the results for you and the end result can make you happier and more normal functioning person in this great world of implants.
We here at Huch Family Dentistry in Goose Creek, SC are happy to educate, consult, and restore your teeth to get you where you want be for the long term duration. Give us a call if we can be helpful to you and your dental needs.
Comments are closed.